Thursday, March 11, 2010

Two Days into Mayo testing

I've had several people ask e to blog about my Mayo experience. Just taking some time to write things down so I will remember and I can keep people updated better than one liner things on facebook. So here's my happenings so far.

I guess I'll start with my flight here. These were not a piece of cake. Even though the doctors gave me extra meds to help with the stress, anxiety and motion of the flights. The first flight was really rough. I have never felt so alone and like a freak show before. I began throwing up in every bag I could reach or was passed just ten minutes into the flight. The poor lady ended up moving me to the back of the plane where I was all alone. I did get a free coke out of the deal! Anyway, I was so glad to just land and get off of there. It was crazy. I felt so weak but I had to get to my next gate in the Atlanta airport. Thank goodness for the train in that airport. The worlds busiest airport. It is a very nice airport though. I don't mind it at all. So many hate it. But anyway, to save money I had to get all my things in my purse, a bookbag and a carry in size. Which I must say was a miracle of God. I still brought 4 pairs of shoes. I'm a REALLY good packer!!! Anyway, my second flight was much better. Though I was so drugged out by that point I felt like I was sleep walking to the car once I landed in Jacksonville. I basically was sleeping with the sand man the rest of the day. This was on Monday, March 8th.

Tuesday morning I woke with alot of pain and really bad panic attacks. I thought I could take my meds and rest through it all but I ended up having to call my dad to come sit at my aunt's house with me. I slept the whole day. I knew I just needed to get through that day and I would be checking into the Mayo Clinic early on Wednesday, March 10th.

Finally, the long awaited day was here. All these symptoms and illness had been going on since November 16. I remember that day like it was yesterday. I had never been that sick. Which says alot, cause for some reason, I've had some pretty rough health on and off.

Maybe I should pause and fill you in if you have not been up on what has been going on. I'll give you the quick version. November 16 I woke feeling great. I went to the gym that morning and had a great work out. The girls were in school and Michael was out of town. I got some work done around the house that day and really felt great. I did start to feel really nauseous about 1pm. As usual I had not had anything but a protein shake before I went to the gym. I get caught up in what I'm doing and will go without eating and not even think about it. So I fixed me a sandwhich. I decided to lay down for a lil bit before heading to get the girls from school. I felt a lil better so thought nothing of it. I grab a trash can on my way out just in case. I'm the worst person about vomiting. I can't stop once I start, I can't control myself...it's not pretty. I threw up the whole way to the school and the whole way back. I got in a bath. For some reason I think baths will make things better. I will take them every 30 minutes till the hot water is gone whether it helps or not. Anyway, I never did get things to stop. The girls were trying to do their homework in my bedroom while coming to check on me often. I finally told them to call my mother in law. Before I knew it, my mother in law, my sister in law and three ambulances were at my house. I was rushed to the er sirens and all. Never had that before. Lights, but never sirens. They gave me pain meds for the severe ab pain, iv fluids and zophran for the vomiting...there were people everywhere. There was no waiting for anything or any doctor. They rushed to my side. All that was found was a extremely high white blood count, high fever. I stayed in the hospital for 4 days. I do not remember much of that stay. I was so sick. To make a long story short, I had this happen every week for the next 2 months. I have stayed a total of 32 days in the hospital since Nov 16. Many test, proceedors and a surgery have been done with no findings. Other than a small tear in my intestine, repeat high white blood count, fever, hives, rashes, swelling of the joints, cysts on the ovaries and lose stools. These are the symptoms and they have been coming and going with no rhyme or reason since November 16. The panic attacks are a by product of the stress on my body. I have been dealing with anixety and depression for 4-5 years now.

Ok so I was anxious but glad my date to check in was here. My dad drove me to Mayo at 6am in the morning. Which is a beautiful campus, blocks form the beach. If I had the money I would stay at the hotel on site. Just awesome place. Very efficent. Not your typical hospital at all. I checked in and then waited for the appointment with the doctor. Dr Crespo is my doctor at Mayo. I really took to him within minutes of us being together. He spent a lil over an hour talking with me and examining me. He never seemed rushed or anything. It was like I was his only patient for the day. Now he did mention Lopis. And no I'm not sure how you spell that either. I don't know what that is. He said I have 7 of thr 12 symptoms of Lopis. He told me not to concern myself with that right now. He said he wanted to bring another doctor in the room so they could consult with each other. He asked me if that was ok. They both came in and really explained things and gave me plenty of time to ask questions. They said that they would be running alot of test and some will seem odd to me. But that they needed me to just be paitent and be open with them. They both took a look at my current meds. I got really nervous as they talked about needing to take me off all my meds as they would interfer with some testing that they would need to do. I mean, my anxiety and depression meds I do not play with. That freaks me out. I'm trying to trust though. These are suppose to be some of the best doctors in the world. I may have the best doctors in Lynchburg, VA, but even they, like me, are reaching out to these doctors for help to figure out what is wrong with me. So I left very scared. They scheduled me for some blood work the following day that I would need to fast for. They were concerned enough about my panic attacks, as I had two while with them, that they doubled my seroquel that day. I got home and laid down at 11am after taking my double dose and woke at 6pm. Talk about some good sleep. Me and the sand man have had some deep sleeping.

So this brings me to today, Thursday, March 11th. I had asked my mom to drive me today. It is a good 45 minute drive one way to the clinic. So gas is going to be an issue. My dad needed the day off to relax anyway. We arrived and it was so neat. It was a big waiting area with chairs all facing this long wall. The wall had three doors. They were shaded glass doors. Like star track or something. So neat. The nurses would push a button and the doors would go into the wall. They were coming out of those doors like popcorn. They were so efficient. They took NINE tubes of blood from me. That lady was scaring me. I have rolling veins and they are tiny. She was on her third try in my arm and said "your dehydrated and if I can't get it this time I'm going to have to go for your neck." I made a deal with her. I normally tell them "DO NOT chase my vein!". That HURTS so bad. Well i told her, I'll let you chase this one...I do not want you to go into my neck. Lord, it took her forever. I was about to pull it out myself. But she finally got it. Then they gabe me a shot of some orangey/red fluid. I have no idea what that was. I was trying not to pass out. I don't think they have any small needles at Mayo. She stuck me 12 times and not once was it a small needle. I felt so sick to my stomach after all that. They sent me home with "homework". I really don't think you want to know what exactually this homework is...lets just say think of the most disgusting thing they could ask you to do...and times it times 10.

As the day went on, it got worse. I had some issues (we won't go into details there either). But I handled it. I have been so tired all day but not really able to sleep. You know that place. Too tired to relax. I didn't want to take any extra drugs so I just managed. Now it's 11:30pm and I'm wide awake. And this is after taking all my sleeping aids and other drugs. I'm a lil concerned about something I discovered this afternoon. Dr. Crespo asked me about a mole I have on my neck. It has been there forever. It's never bothered me. It's not next to the skin it kinda hangs a little. He asked me how long it had been there and if it had gotten darker or bled. I said no. Well I hadn't looked at it in a long time either. I was fixing my hair and it was just after 5pm. I noticed in the mirror that the mole was completely black. I got sick to my stomach....thinking the worst. It is hard, like it's dead. Now he didn't say it was dark or anything when he asked me about it. So now I'm worried about it. I'm going back to Mayo in the morning and can't wait to have someone look at it, It will have to come off now for sure.

Well I guess this brings things up to date in deatil. I'll plan to write each day and that way I won't have to write such a long one each time.

Current Prayer Concerns:
*The drs as they test and find out what is wrong
*There is alot of family issues here in Florida...it's hard to try and handle things with me and these issues. Please pray that I can really lay everything, everyone and every situation at His feet each moment so things will not become too stressful
*Financial...it is not cheap when you have to buy supplies, food and alot of gas to live away from home.
*Michael, the girls and I as we are away from each other. It's hard to not have your husband and children to support you and be with you during a stressful time like this.
*The girls emotional and education. the girls worry so much about me and it really effects them at school. Please pray they can focus on their work, work hard and depend on all the support they have there. It's not mommy of course....

Thank you all for your prayers, calls, emails and support.

Needing God's arms always around me,
Candy Justice

No comments: